EYE STRAIN is an uncomfortable feeling many experience after focusing on an image or object at close range for too long. It may also be caused when one or both eyes are not able to focus well.
Eyestrain can lead to such other symptoms as headaches, eye pain, and blurred vision, and is especially common among those who frequently use computers because you tend to focus on screen images for long periods of time.
The symptoms mentioned above can result from staring at a computer monitor for too long. If you must work at a computer for an extended period of time, try to do the following to decrease your chances of experiencing eyestrain.
* Adjust the brightness on your monitor to a comfortable level so that it is neither too bright nor too dim
* Place your monitor between 18 and 24 inches from your eyes
* While working, look away from the screen every few minutes and focus on something else in the room
* Take frequent breaks, get up and walk around
* Blink frequently to moisten your eyes and to avoid eye-dryness
* If you have prescription glasses for reading, make sure to wear your glasses while working on the computer, and if you continue to have problems, check with your doctor to make sure your prescription is still correct
* Schedule regular eye exams
While the symptoms of eyestrain are mild in many cases, these symptoms may also be a result of a more serious eye problem. To determine if you are experiencing eyestrain or another eye condition, schedule a thorough eye exam with your eye care physician.